Saturday, March 21, 2009

Specific prayer

Everyone should pray specifically, I am sure of it. One of my professors my sophomore year challenged us to start praying very specifically so it's easier for us to see how God answers our prayers.

I tried it shortly thereafter, and am convinced that it keeps me encouraged, or at least aware of the things God is trying to teach me. The neat thing is that I don't tell people about what I'm praying for when I choose to pray specifically, because then I know it's like God is answering my prayers.

A few examples:
  • My sophomore year, Dad was out of work, and I decided to pray that he'd land a job by March 1st. It was leap year, and on March 3rd, Dad called and said he got a job a few days before, specifically on February 29th!
  • Again my sophomore year, I prayed that someone or somehow Dad and Mom would get $3,000 by April 15th. When I was talking with Mom, she said she got a check from the government that was $3,000! It was the first week of April.
  • Most recently (as in a few weeks ago), I was praying that I would get $1,000 from somewhere before April 5th, because I had to pay off $950 on my school bill before the first week of April, and I am more broke than a homeless person. When I was in Washington D.C. a few weeks ago, I received an email from the school stating I was awarded the Minority Scholarship. I came back to school and checked my PO box to see how much I received, and the check that was put on my account was $1,500!
All those examples are not exaggerated in any way, shape or form. It is so neat to see God work specifically on my behalf.

Next time you pray, pray specifically.

No comments: