I've always liked playing this game. That game being the board game. OK, so I've been enjoying myself in the real deal too, but I'm beginning to wonder which number I'll spin next. Which spot am I going to land on? Will it give me money or take it away from me?
So in the game, you choose one of two paths of life: the college or the career (something like that). I clearly have chosen the college. Now supposedly, I'm supposed to be ahead in the game, theoretically making more money in a better career than those who chose to just tackle life and its problems without a degree. Props to them. Maybe? The way things are looking now, I wonder if the $68,000 I will have spent by December for my degree will set me apart that much from my peers. Let's be optimistic and hope so because that is a lot of money that's come from my pocket in the last four-and-a-half years. Oh wait, I've never had that much money in my pocket, so add a few loans and a large percentage of interest to that number.
The game continues and you choose an occupation, a house and a car. Well, I know I want my occupation in the fields of journalism and public relations--preferably together. I've been researching, contacting and keeping reference files for each organization I would like to work with. It sounds like great pre-planning now, but December is only six months away. As for a house, I have no clue. None whatsoever. I want to move out on my own after graduation, but again money plays a big roll in this factor. Do I rent from someone? Do I share with roommates? Then a car. I have a nice car that was given to me for graduating from high school, but it's not really mine. So do I lease a car? Do I buy a clunker? Do I walk? We'll have to wait and see.
Then we're all familiar with the bumps in the road, unexpected costs and taxes and other "pay this amount" spaces you potentially land on in the game. I've already experienced quite a few of these in real life, and I know they'll just keep coming.
Game continues. Marriage. Job promotions. Kids. Taxes. Vacations.
Anyway, you get my point -- I'm beginning to wish life was as simple as the game. But since I know it isn't now and won't ever be, I might as well be happy with what I have now and plan as best as I can for the future.
As scary as it is, I think I'm ready to tackle life. Bring it on!
No comments:
Post a Comment