Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Am I "amusing [myself] to death" with technology?

Facebook. Twitter. Text messaging. Netflix. Gtalk. Blogger. YouTube. Hulu. iPod. LinkedIn. Email.

The list could go on and on about the technology that has invaded my life. But am I complaining? Definitely not. I love technology and the vast amount of information it affords to me, but I do realize it has established itself in my life and is not planning on leaving anytime soon!

My mom recently mentioned to me that I use too much of my day on technology. One minute I'm sending a "tweet" to my Twitter. Another minute I'm texting a friend. Then I login to my Facebook. Before I know it, it's time for another "tweet" as I simultaneously bring myself to my happy place with my iPod.

How did this all happen? I mean, how did I become so reliant--so dependent--on technology? My parents didn't own any cell phones until I was 10. We didn't own a computer until I was 12, and even then, all we could do was type on Microsoft Notepad . . . not even Word! We thought we upgraded when we got dial-up Internet. I bought my first digital camera for my 16th birthday. I bought my own laptop right before going to college my freshman year. We finally got broadband Internet after I went to college.

Do you catch the trend here? My family has always been a bit S L O W when it comes to technology. How have I gone from growing up in such a technologically-challenged family to being so addicted to it?

It amazes me how quickly things just creep into my life. I didn't take computer classes until my sophomore year in college, yet I knew how to work these things. Nobody taught me how to text with T9, but somehow I caught on. Nobody gave me little tutorials with Facebook, Twitter or Hulu, and yet--with a few minor mistakes--I'm a pro (slight exaggeration) with each of these.

So I understand how my mom thinks I use too much time on technology--I'm not denying that in the least bit. I just wonder when it all started.

1 comment:

Brenna said...

teehee :) i never read that book... probably should have though lol. btw, i have no idea how to use t9 so i must have a learning disorder... or something along those lines...