Thursday, May 28, 2009

It makes my head hurt

Since I'm a relatively poor college student, I think about money. I think about money a lot. And in the process of thinking about it, I wonder: What makes these 2.61" x 6.14" (yes, I looked it up) pieces of glorified paper worth anything?

I know, I know, there is supposed meaning, significance and worth to these legal tenders, but really, how can a piece of paper really do that much?

Take it to yet another level--plastic. One swipe here, another swipe there and all of a sudden I have debt to pay. All because of my spending via a magnetic strip on the back of a piece of plastic.

I'm not interested in the scientific explanations for the logic of the financial world, and I'm probably taking this too far, but it really makes my head hurt to think about it.

No comments: