Thursday, June 18, 2009

On the hunt

With Father's Day soon approaching (too quickly, I might add), I'm searching for that perfect gift for my amazing, yet not-so-perfect Dad. I love him dearly, but he is so hard to shop for. You'd think after 22 years of celebrating this holiday with him that I'd have this gift-giving thing down. Wrong. Every single year I'm plagued with this inability to find a gift for him.

To aid me in this traumatic experience, I ask him, "So, what do you want this year?" Without fail his answer is, "Oh, I don't need anything. I'm just glad you're in my life." Aww, now isn't that sweet? Maybe, but it doesn't help me! Those who know me (even just on the acquaintance level of the friendship scale) know I'm very indecisive. I'm so indecisive, I even wrote a column about it!

Since my dad won't help with my gift-hunting efforts, I decided to check the media. After all, there are always articles about "Top Dad's Day Gifts" or "Trends for This Father's Day." Sure enough, I found this article. The headline? "11 Great Gadgets for Father's Day." Wonderful! Dad can use more gadgets. But if you look, you'll quickly notice that most of these "great gadgets" are not very college-budget friendly.

So, I'm stuck again. I don't want to pull an "Oops, I forgot it's Father's Day," and resort to giving him yet another necktie. Oh! He loves doing laundry and frequently mentions that we don't have enough clothing hangers--but I give them to him for part of his Christmas gift every year. I will not be buying more hangers for him!

Well, while I'm "jogging in oatmeal" on my gift hunt, I might read more news articles in hopes of finding that perfect (and budget-friendly) gift. This is going to be one long marathon!

2 comments:

JM Studios said...

well I have something you can give him! Might cost ya a litle but you know what it is =P tee hee!

-Timmy! (you know who =P)

Kalyn said...

Haha, true story! I'd have to take out a loan ;-)