Saturday, June 12, 2010

Life on Route 435

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again: these posts technically shouldn't be "route 435" anymore, because I don't even ride that bus now, but whatever. I'm keeping the name. So on to the post . . .

Yesterday was a pretty normal day. Until I got on the bus (of course). I was on ST Route 522 from Seattle, and the bus was full like usual. Thankfully by the time I get on, there are still seats on the rig; it's not unusual for people to be standing the entire ride. (This is not like a quick ride at high speeds, it's 40 minutes, folks.) Well, halfway home, as someone was *attempting* to get off the bus, she rammed right into me. What do I mean? Like she stood up while the bus was still moving and then when the bus jerked a bit, she lost her ability to balance and rammed me with her big backpack. Of course she was totally ignorant to what just happened. I might have been forgiving if she would have noticed and apologized, but since she didn't, she has earned herself a permanent mention on this blog.

Moving on . . .

Everything was going OK, until I (and everyone else on the bus) heard this high-pitched, kid-sounding music coming from somewhere. My first thought was that it was coming from a dude's earbuds that weren't quite in his ear. Well, after I noticed him looking around in disgust from the noise, I figured it wasn't him. So I looked around some more. Couldn't quite pin where it was coming from . . . UNTIL . . . a short, odd-looking girl/lady/female stood up to let someone out of her row. Picture this person in your mind: frizzy hair, black knee-length socks with pirate skulls all over them, short (like short, short, short) black leather mini skirt. Got that picture in your mind? Good. Now add to it her holding a netbook (you know those tiny computers that are popular now). She stands up, trying not to drop her computer. The person leaves. The bus starts moving again. The sound gets louder. And louder. And now it is non-stop.

Yes, the sound was coming from her--or should I say from her computer. All the way from Downtown Seattle until Kenmore (probably farther than that, but that's where I got off). As I got off the bus, I passed where she was sitting and glanced at her screen. I am not kidding, she was playing some stupid computer game and those noises were from each little thing eating whatever other thing in her game (looking like Tumblebugs if you know what that game is). Yes, she was playing her game, ignorant of all the stares, glares and angry looks from everyone else on the bus, and she was playing with the sound on.

I was so glad to get off the bus. I feel bad for the person sitting next to her, but I also wonder why she didn't ask her to turn down the volume or plug in her earphones or whatever. Some things (and people) I will never understand.

P.S. I forgot to mention the girl/lady/female on the bus the other day who was standing the entire time (scroll up for an explanation about people standing up). Yeah, she was holding the handle on the back of my seat, which would've normally been fine, except she was holding my hair with it. I pulled forward several times to try and get my hair out of her grip and also to try and get her to notice she was pulling my hair. Yeah, didn't work. Not-so-funny thing about this story, is that another intern and I ride the same bus every morning, and she was sitting behind me. She told me when we were walking to the office that she kept getting knocked by the same girl's backpack, the entire way from Kenmore to Seattle. Some people . . . .

No comments: