So I finally did it! I finally went to see a movie . . . after being home for 3 weeks, it was long overdue. This was truly an adventure and in my perspective, merits its own blog entry.
Scenario: Me, my brother and my mom want to see a movie. My uncle and my two cousins also want to see a movie. My little sister decides to meet us after work to see a movie. This is the story of seven silly Asians who tried--and succeeded--in going to see a movie late on a Friday night.
8 p.m. At my aunt's surprise 60th birthday, my brother decides he wants to see a movie. It was opening night for "Up," and he wanted to see it in 3-D. We checked listings and the next showing was at 9:50 p.m. After leaving the party, we went to Bellevue Square (those not from WA, that's 15 minutes northeast of Seattle). We get there around 9:20 p.m. and meet Kristine only to find out all showings of "Up" are sold out for the evening. Go figure.
9:30 p.m. We call my uncle who was going to see "Star Trek" at the Imax with two of my cousins, because now that our movie is not available, we had no plans. There are lots of movies I've been wanting to see (Star Trek, Obsessed, Up, Brother's Bloom, Ghosts of Girlfriend's Past, etc.) We drove to Seattle to meet them at their house and get the times for the Imax. For some odd reason, the 11:30 p.m. showing of "Star Trek" wasn't showing up online, so we decided to see it at Southcenter (those not from WA, that's 20 minutes south of Seattle). Crazy, right? I suppose, but we really wanted to see a movie and Southcenter had "Star Trek" at 11 p.m.
11:05 p.m. Right as we are exiting the freeway to Southcenter, my uncle finds out that the Seattle Imax really was showing "Star Trek" at 11:30 p.m. We pull into a Denny's parking lot to double-check and sure enough, it was playing. So instead of pulling into the mall parking lot (we were across the street), my uncle decides that he really wants to see the movie on the Imax screen. We get back on the freeway and head back to Seattle.
11:20 p.m. I'm gunning it down the freeway, watching all around me for any signs of cops. This was only the beginning. It's Downtown on a Friday night during prom season . . . tough luck finding parking! But somehow after circling around for a while, I found a spot somewhat near the Imax.
11:31 p.m. Remember, we'd just come from my aunt's party, so I was in heels. Not good for running up a hill on uneven concrete! But, somehow I make it and we get our tickets to Imax. We very briskly walk to the entrance and the place is nearly packed. The movie has been playing for several weeks, but I guess it's still a big hit. We found a row of seats three up from the front . . . kinda close, but whatever.
1:40 a.m. Movie is over and all of us enjoyed it. Time for food! Yes, we're Asian and anytime is a good time for food. We decide to wait a bit until we're closer to home (because I live about 30 minutes north of Downtown).
2:40 a.m. McDonald's! Yep, we got burgers, fries and yogurt parfaits at 2:40 a.m. Crazy? Yeah, probably. Worth it? Definitely.
3:43 a.m. I'm sitting here writing this blog entry. It's not nearly as entertaining or interesting in print/screen as it was in person. And I'm super tired, so it probably doesn't all make sense. But the whole point was, that we went to three different theatres just to try and watch ONE movie! I'm not normally a "Star Trek" type of person, but I really enjoyed the movie. Intense, entertaining and funny. This is most certainly a night to remember!
2 comments:
that's awesome :) i finally saw a movie last night too (night at the museum 2) but we were like 2 of 10 people there :) and of course--being iowa and all--it was the only theater around for miles :)
Haha! That's great! Actually, in part of Star Trek, they are in Iowa . . . and I thought about you! Yeah, we pretty much ran around all over town just to catch the movie. It was fun though!
Post a Comment